Sitcom (noun): a situation comedy. Yeah, I just looked it up and now I seem smart, right? That’s not the point of this piece though. Just finished binge watching a whole 9 seasons of How I Met Your Mother and all I have in my mind is WOW! I have gone through more emotions and epiphanies than I thought I ever had. Whoever came up with the idea of sitcoms really struck gold! A good sitcom has the ability to make you relate with the characters and their experiences. The stories are not always dramatic or laced with life lessons but once in a while a lesson is revealed and depending on where you are in life, it can make you think about your choices and help you make some too. Yes, these are scripts but they show you how pathetic everyone can be once in their lives. Maybe, that is why the good ones really last long. You watch the characters grow through their situations and learn lessons you never knew existed. I have been feeling quite hopeless lately; wrong life choices and everything spiraling out of control but I have enjoyed watching HIMYM and all the craziness it comes with. A few lessons have stuck with me though and those are mostly the lessons about love:
1. Sometimes things have got to fall apart to make way for better things
2. The future is scary but you shouldn’t run back to the past because it is familiar and feels safe.
3. Just because something has to be said it doesn’t mean it has to be heard.
4. Love doesn’t make sense, you can’t logic yourself out of it. Love is the best thing we do and it doesn’t have to make sense to make sense.
5. When you don’t want to lose someone, you have got to take a step to keep that from happening.
6. One set of vows can never remain the same as you grow together. They always have to be updated over the years.
7. None of us can vow to be perfect but we can vow to be the best we can be at love because love is what we do best.
8. Thank God for long difficult roads because you never get where you are without them.
Maybe I will not apply all these lessons at once but I will one day. I have learnt some over my short years of understanding and I still have miles to go. Life is a learning curve, full of ups and downs, smiles and frowns, laughter and tears, roses and thorns. Its never a straight line and sometimes the curve really plumets but it always picks up. Nothing stays the same, I always thank the Lord for that 😊